Some of you may know my dear Hubby works for Fedex. We were so happy when he got this job a year ago, thinking it's a steady income he will get a pay check every week. Unlike he previous job where he might have worked one day this week and be off for the next 2 weeks. It was hit and miss and very hard on the budget. We thought this new job was a blessing.
But things changed soon after starting, he was making more money but was getting paid salary and working 60+ hours a week. This company has been full of lies since he has started. They load him up with 50+ more stops than anyone else cause they know he will do the job. It has finally coming to a breaking point. His blood pressure is through the roof and refuses to be put on medicine, so some things need to change. As most of you know it is gonna be hard to get another job right, especially where we live. If he can find anything it will be a major pay cut.
So in order to keep him from having a heart attack he is faced with the choice to turn in his notice. Things are still trying to be worked out but I don't think anything will change. So to prepare here are a few things we will do now.
1. Cut down food budget. We are currently spending $100.00 a week for food and household products. We will need to make a major decrease to $60.00 or less a week. Today I will go through my pantry and see what we can use and then make a meal plan.
2. Make more foods from scratch. I am already doing this for most foods compared to a couple years ago, we were buying everything packaged. What a difference in the food budget it makes.
3. Change Auto Insurance Companies. I have searched different companies to get a lower rate and have found one with a savings of almost $40.00 a month. I just need to purchase the new one and cancel the old.
4. Lower our electric bill. I am afraid to know what the bills will be like this winter, we already have our furnace running and its mid-October. Scary!!! I know a lot of people are trying to hold off but have a 3 month old I can't do that. We will be unplugging items when not in use and trying to not run some electronics if possible, like the dishwasher. Limiting the dryer time, my husband can't stand line dried clothes. Clothes will be hung till damp then put in dryer, keep in mind that we have to turn on our dyer 3+ times to get a load of clothes completely dry. Not very energy efficient,
5. Gym Membership. My husband pays $265.00 a year for his membership. I know that is not a huge amount of money but it will be coming up for renewal soon.
6. No eating out. We currently eat out one meal a week, while this is a treat we will not be able to do this either unless it is free of course.
7. Lower Phone Bill. We currently only have our cell phones and get a good discount with Hubby working for Fedex. While we will loss this discount we can lower our minutes because he will not be using his phone as much for work. I know we could lower it at least $30.00 a month if not more.
8. No more UFC Paper views. These are very expensive at almost $50.00 a fight. We always have a big get together with friends as our treat. We usually only get one every few months.
9. Lower Cable Bill. Some would say why not cancel it now, but we wouldn't do this until we knew Hubby wasn't gonna be working. Then we could watch TV on the internet.
10. Lower Internet. I have already done this. I am not sure what the bill will be yet but should be a savings of $20.00 a month.
Have you been in this situation? If so, please share what you have done or are doing.